Interior Designer is a professional who understands the client’s needs and preferences and design spectacular & practical interior spaces for both residential and commercial projects accordingly. He uses his understanding of colour theory, space planning, design principles etc. to choose suitable furniture, materials & lighting etc. and work on variety of projects including renovating existing spaces, designing new home or apartment or designing commercial spaces like office, restaurant or hotels.
He must possess good communication, networking & project management capabilities for he collaborates with contractors, vendors & other stakeholders to create cohesive design schemes.
Steps to build a great career
To build a great career in Interior Design, the students must answer the following queries:
- Type of projects you are drawn to:
- Are you focused towards designing residential spaces?
- Do you aspire to work on large scale commercial projects such as municipal buildings, shopping centers, airports, hospitals etc.?
- Are you equipped with required capabilities and patience to manage a project including tackling daily problems & intricate dilemmas and making swift decisions in the face of daily hurdles that may surface on a construction site?
If you are keen to work on commercial interiors and intricate buildings, then it is advisable that you should enrol in an architecturally focused Interior Design Course. However, on the other hand if you are drawn towards innovative & artistic experimentation, then you should opt for a course that is focused on design and offers resources such as art or studio rooms.
Trial by fire only refines gold. In order to be a successful interior designer, you will need to undergo a tough journey, face challenges and will need an extra zeal, passion as well as patience and hard work to make a mark in this field. Following are the steps:
Identify niche: To achieve success as an interior designer, it is essential that you determine your niche thatyou aspire to be recognised for, such as:
- Focusing on sustainable practices by incorporating eco-friendly products, plants as well as sustainable material
- Specializing in hospitality industry
- Handling building premises
- Concentrating on residential projects including people’s homes
- Managing Health Care facilities
- Working with corporate and commercial enterprises.
- Managing retail & shopping centers
Interior Design course: Four-year Interior Design course will provide you with comprehensive learning and abilities to manage intricate design challenges in the ever evolving industry. The program will provide insights into various Ergonomics, Design Principles, Interior Design Fundamentals, Materials and their Application, Space Planning with Aesthetics, Colour Theory, Human Comfort, and Representation Tools etc.
Getting your hands dirty: Interior designing entails more than sketching and materials/fabrics selection. It requires collaborating with different teams during the entire design and construction process. Furthermore, you also needs to ensure that the final outcome aligns with the presented original concept.
Awareness about trends & style: Successful Interior Designer must possess comprehensive understanding of range of styles, techniques & aesthetics, whether it is minimalist, contemporary, or traditional. Furthermore, you must be capable of adapting varied styles seamlessly into your own designs. Thus grasping of varied styles assists in keeping your portfolio fresh and distinctive.
We have highlighted few of the essentials necessary for being a success in interior design industry. Along with this, you must possess passion for architecture of the buildings as well as a penchant for art & design.